Thursday, December 28, 2006

Charity



Because Crafty Kitchen is a small operation, we have the flexibility to push new ideas through the prototyping phase right to production. It's one of the great things about working here. If we've got an idea, it can be realized even on the same day...as long as our day jobs don't interfere.

That was the case with these cat beds. They are the happy marriage of one unwanted, unloved Christmas gift sweater and some beautiful leftover Polartec fleece. I cut the front from the back of the sweater and cut them roughly into two squares. Then I sewed them to a matching piece of fleece. Voila! Two beautiful, snuggly, plush cat beds.

As you can see, Grammar is a fan.

In the spirit of the season, the beds are going to be donated to the Toronto Humane Society, along with two others I made of more fleece I had left over from making Christmas presents.

One past-its-best-before date sweater: $30 (?)
Leftover fleece and thread: $5
Making a litter of kittens and their mom more comfortable: priceless.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. But you said that you loved the sweater when I gave it to you. I just...I...oh.

Awww. Spokesmodel Gram is perfectly positioned on the cat bed...hmmm, wait-a-sec...almost too perfectly positioned. I see what’s going on here. You stitched her to the bed, didn't you? It seems that you’ll stop at nothing to achieve the perfect marketing campaign. If I wasn’t angling for a few more prototype accessories from the Crafty Kitchen, I’d be sickened by your actions. Sickened! Just so you know.

Amy said...

Absolutely no animals are ever harmed in the making of our products. Gram didn't complain, and the little stitches came right out of her feet after she was done posing. She seems fine.

Lisa said...

supercute!! if douglas would stop chewing through every material except for kryptonite, i'd put in an order.

Anonymous said...

I can hear Gram's little "ma ma, me me" right now - she looks totally cute sitting there with her big owl eyes! Very charitable of you to donate the cat beds, they are certainly worthy of a little cat family for snuggling!

Anonymous said...

mommy says......what lovely gifts for the grandkitties - so many wonderful ideas to share, Uncle Mckinley is watching over Grammarpuss - be sure there is absolutely no cruelty here.
hugs Mama
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Good God! What a hideous sweater that must have been! Yet... such incredibly attractive cat beds... sheer genius. Hopefully the gangsta kitties at the shelter won't roll the lucky recipients for their plush luxuries.

Amy said...

Oh yeah, it was a doozy of a sweater. Oddly, it might have also made a nice couch cushion. But this kind of proves a point: a pattern appropriate for a sweater and a pattern appropriate for a couch cushion are not one and the same. I still have the severed sleeves that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. Maybe I can get another cat bed out of them if I cut them open.