Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A very special place


These beauties came from a very special place. They are authentic Orsoni Italian smalti, the original mosaic material. They are made only in Venice, and only by the Orsoni family, who has made them, in the same factory, for centuries. They'll tell you how they're made, but then they'll have to kill you. These little scraps of glass are mosaicists' gold. They are so special that I've had them for almost two years and I'm too afraid to use them for fear of wasting them on a project that's not worthy. I'm happy to just look at them.

Cheryl was in Venice two years ago. On the very outside chance that she might be able to drop in at the Orsoni factory, I armed her with a very bad, vague map of the very twisty, ancient alleyways of Venice. One hot Italian afternoon, Cheryl took up the challenge of finding the factory. The image of my lovely friend on an intrepid solo mission in Venice to find this factory for me is so charming it chokes me up. And she did find it, and eventually finangled a tour from Signora Orsoni herself.


The image above is of a tiny sign that is the only external indicator of the Orsoni smalti factory. I believe it indicates the factory doorbell.

My beautiful smalti came from one of the very cradles of mosaic art, from their natural habitat in a place that is incredibly otherworldly, unique and special. I may never use them.

No comments: