Monday, February 5, 2007

Well hello there, handsome


This guy is my current project. Chad is always telling me to try a mosaic of animals or people, and I always say no, it's too hard. And it is hard...much harder than geometric designs. Almost every piece is cut to fill a particular space. The dragon's wings are done in tiny, tiny triangular pieces of tile; I was trying to make them look like feathers. I've been using my tweezers to place them. And there's a large glass of wine just outside the photo above (I had to crop it), which wasn't helping with the tile placement.

I'm stumped on what colour to use for his feet. Seems like maybe they should be green, but he's pretty regal looking, and green lizard feet just don't seem to suit him. And I'm trying to decide how to do the border--maybe red and purple glass gems. And I have some beautiful gold I want to use. Anyway, I'm quite enjoying working on him. As usual, I can't wait to grout and see what it looks like when it's done.


My handsome dragon is based (copied, actually) on a British artist's design for a series of tiles, shown above. I found an image of the tiles in a book, and I just love the dragon and his pals. (I'll post the artist's name as soon as I can find the page from that book! Hopefully she won't read my blog!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grey or even black feet would be good. That way the feet won't stick out so much and you notice the beautiful wings and head more!
Oh, this guy is going to be cool!

Amy said...

Yeah, black feet with dark brown claws. Great idea! I picture him in an entranceway—a welcome dragon!