Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Puff ain't got nothin' on this guy



Well, well. So here we are, almost finished. I laid the last tile fragment tonight. The area around and between his legs was really, really tricky. Lots of tweezer work. And he still needs an eye. I'm going to use an Italian millefiore, a little blown-glass bead--I just need to make a trip to the bead shops on Queen Street.

So now the glue needs to dry, and then I can grout. And I never really know what a piece is going to look like until it's grouted. Grouting can really make or break a piece, and I'd hate to $@*&?$! him up now. I'm thinking a light grey grout. My first impulse was to use a sandy colour, which would make the background all blend together, and make the dragon really stand out, but I really want his body to look dark, and a light sandy colour would break him up too much. So I'm going to use a mid-grey grout. Hopefully it will look OK with the background--I'm planning to test it first on a spare piece of wood with some of the background tiles stuck to it.

Stay tuned. Grouting is quite labour- and time-intensive. It consumes the whole kitchen--so no eating. I may do it this weekend. We'll see. Very excited.

1 comment:

Chad Fraser said...

It is awesome. I can't wait to hang the welcome dragon at the door of our snazzy new digs, where will ward off evil spirits (and, of course, pirates).

There will also be a kitchen capable of accommodating eating AND grouting. This winter has left me a little on the thin side.