Friday, October 12, 2007

The start of a beautiful friendship (or a broken back)


Last night, my friend Jenn took me shopping for hockey gear. I'm starting hockey lessons next Thursday. That's right. Hockey lessons. So off we went to Play It Again Sports in Scarborough to see what we could find. I already bought great skates last winter, so we needed everything but the skates. I wanted to get most things used, because though I like to watch hockey on the telly, I cannot say yet whether I actually like to play it, never having picked up and skated with a stick.

But actually I ended up getting most stuff new anyway. It proved tricky to find used stuff that would fit me. It was either tiny or huge. But it didn't turn out to be too expensive anyway.

So, I picked up hockey pants, shin guards, hockey socks (which, as I learned, should be called "hockey leg warmers" but are not, for obvious reasons), a women's jock (a.k.a. a jill), shoulder pads, elbow pads, a jersey, a cool helmet, some tape and a stick. Yes, at 32, I have my own hockey stick. The ideas I get into my head.....

I just need a few other things, like gloves, and I'm good to go.

I'll probably spend some time with "Hockey for Dummies" this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'll have a reputation as a bruiser in no time. Let's just play on the same team always, kay?