Sunday, March 11, 2007

Ta dah!



It was a gorgeous pre-spring day today, so I took a few pictures of the completed dragon mosaic. He turned out pretty great. My only qualm: his wings are kind of washed out. They don't stand out enough, which is because the green of the wings and the grey of the grout are too similar. I didn't consider this when I planned the colours. I think I may eventually do mosaics of each of the other creatures in the series I modelled this guy on. He looks great hanging on the wall, but he'd look even better in the company of a few friends.

Mosaics are so unique. Right now he's hanging at the top of our stairs, so it's the first thing you see when you come in. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I don't know anyone else who has a mosaic in their entryway. There's just something about them...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I like his wings. They're very winglike. After all, wouldn't his wings be less solid than his body? So doesn't it make sense that they'd be a bit more... whooshy? Exactly. Whooshy. In fact, I think that if you'd made them any other colour, he would be less real looking than he is. I've never seen a dragon with non-whooshy wings, have you? Well there you go.

Amy said...

Excellent analysis, my friend. You've always been a deep thinker, and your words go far to soothe this amateur artist's insecurities. Ack! The angst!